Friday, December 29, 2006

Sheffield United v. Arsenal - My predictions

Gut Feeling: Warnock will have them fired up with giant killing aspirations and the first twenty minutes will be a bit spicy but I feel Arsenal have enough quality in the starting eleven to secure a victory. I have a feeling that van Persie may snatch a goal from a set piece and that the second goal will be scored by a surprising face such as Senderos or Baptista.

What Arsenal Need: They need to get through the match unscathed. There is quite literally no depth in certain areas of the squad at the moment and Wenger cannot afford any further losses to injury.

Arsenal also need a courageous and gritty performance in what looks like being poor weather against a team with nothing to lose. Once again three points are essential to the cause as Arsenal have to beat teams like Sheffield United to ensure they secure the crucial Champions League qualification.

Things To Watch Out For: It looks as though Baptista will start the match and I pray that he doesn't give another performance like the one he gave at Wigan. It will be the same kind of pitch against the same kind of battling and spirited opposition, so he should know what to expect this time. It will only be his third start in an Arsenal shirt eventhough it is halfway through the season. To date he has suffered with injury and high levels of competition to get i the starting eleven. This will be a big opportunity for him to shine.

I presume that Wenger will play Flamini on the right wing, in a position I feel uncomfortable playing him in, but I rest assured that he will run his socks off for the cause and he should support Hoyte in defensive positions. If the right side of the team is Hoyte and Flamini I see the majority of the inventive attacking play developing on the opposite flank with Rosicky and Clichy.

Hopes For The Match: I hope Baptista silences his critics and puts in an impressive display, linking with Fabregas and Rosicky to initiate attacks. Equally, I hope that Senderos gives a commanding performance in the heart of the Arsenal defence and starts playing up to the level required of a number-6-wearing-Arsenal-centre-back.

Team Selection: It looks as though Wenger will have to play whoever is available and scrape together five to sit on the bench. With such a long unavailable list, it's a surprise that he can actually name 11 experienced players to start the match. I've suggested a 4-4-2 just because van Persie can't play on his own up front and Baptista is unproven.

My team selection for this game:

van Persie, Baptista



Rosicky, Gilberto, Fabregas, Flamini



Clichy, Senderos, Toure, Hoyte



Lehmann


Subs: Almunia, Lauren, Denilson, Song, Aliadiere


The area that looks weak is the bench with Aliadiere, Song, Denilson and Lauren to sit along side Almunia.

My opinions of those five are as follows:

Almunia - I still haven't forgiven him for the second goal in Paris and I don't see him as the long-term successor to Lehmann.

Lauren - I can't wait to get him back on the pitch. The sooner the better if you ask me and I think he should replace Hoyte for the last twenty minutes. It will be good to have someone competing with Eboue for the right back position.

Denilson - An exciting prospect and I keep hearing positive things said about him. It would be good to see him get ten minutes at the end.

Song - I'm still on the fence about this young man. He plays one good game for the reserves or in the Carling Cup, then follows it up with a poor performance.

Aliadiere - I'm not convinced he's good enough to play for Arsenal.

Unavailable: My issue this week is the growing and might I say glittering list of injuries that the Gunners are having to cope with at the moment. To highlight my point I have added a goalkeeper (Mart Poom) and displayed the unavailable as a team selection. I have included Lauren as he has not played first team football in a year, even though he is on the way back to full fitness.

My 'unavailable' team selection for this game:

Henry, Adebayor



Hleb, Diaby, Ljungberg, Walcott



Lauren, Djourou, Gallas, Eboue



Poom


If Wenger started this team few would blink an eyelid at the team selection. Everyone keeps pushing Wenger to make purchases in the January transfer window, but when these ten players are back in the squad we'll start talking about not being able to keep everyone happy. I guess you can't have it both ways.

Walcott - Has a back injury that was sustained in training.

Hleb - Injured his shin in training and is waiting on the results of an x-ray.

Adebayor - Injured his thigh, bu shouldn't be out for long.

Djourou - Injured his hamstring in the first half of the Blackburn match. He was replaced by Senderos at half time.

Eboue - Injured his ankle against Portsmouth and played on for a good few minutes before being substituted. He should be back within a week.

Ljungberg - Injured his hamstring against Portsmouth and will be out for another two weeks at least.

Gallas - Injured his quadriceps muscle (front of his thigh) taking free kicks in training and has been out for few weeks. He's not expected to be fit for another 10 days at least.

Henry - He has a low back injury which causes him pain down his sciatic nerve. We've been given no indication as to when he'll be back.

Diaby - On course to return to first team training in January. He suffered a fracture-dislocated ankle last season.

Prediction: Sheffield United 0 Arsenal 2