Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Diarra wanted to be a Gooner all along

New number 8 Lassana Diarra recently told L'equipe,

"Honestly, I believe the Chelsea officials thought I would crack and finally accept a contract extension, as my contract would have been up in 2008."

"But I refused every extension and now I have signed a three-year deal with The Gunners. Chelsea finally accepted, maybe because they were scared I would leave for free in one year."

"At 11pm on Friday night, I got a phone call to tell me I could start to negotiate with Arsenal as both clubs had found an agreement."

"I didn't hesitate because Arsenal was the only club I wanted to join. It was Arsenal or nothing. Other teams contacted me, but I knew what I wanted. Chelsea knew I wanted to join The Gunners."

I see it as an excellent purchase and one that would have annoyed Chelsea too. Of all the central midfielders that Arsenal have the majority are attacking players and Gilberto needed some competition other than Flamini and Song.

Why not vote in our poll on the depth of the squad? It's in the top right hand corner.